If you have receding gums because of periodontal disease or any type of mechanical and functional factors in San Diego, CA, Dr. Evelyn T. Huamán and Dr. Jun Flores may recommend gum surgery to repair some of the damaged tissue. Surgery may be the only option when the gums have receded as a result of any of these factors.
If you have gum recession because of periodontal disease, you may first need to undergo scaling and root planing therapy or, for moderate to severe cases, have gum surgery. In some situations, your treatment for gum disease may be combined with locally administered antibiotics to eliminate harmful bacteria that may be thriving in the spaces between your teeth and gums.
Reasons You May Need Gum Surgery
You may need gum surgery to treat gum recession because of the following reasons:
- Periodontal Disease
- Poor Dental Hygiene
- Tooth Brushing Routine
- Hormonal Changes
- Tobacco Use
- Grinding or Clenching of the Teeth
- Crooked Teeth
- Bite Misalignment
- Oral Piercings
Types of Gum Surgery
Procedures for the treatment of gum recession include:
- Treatment of Gum Disease
- If gum disease is causing your gum recession, we must first treat this condition. Treatments may include nonsurgical scaling and root planing therapy or laser gum surgery. Pocket depth reduction is another option in which the gum tissue is folded back to remove bacteria and infected tissue in the periodontal pockets, and then the gum tissue is sutured back over the tooth roots.
- The Pinhole Surgical Technique (PST™)
- This is a new, minimally invasive treatment for replacing gum tissue that has receded. A small pinhole sized entry point is made in the gum tissue, through which special instruments are utilized to loosen and reposition gum tissue to cover exposed root structure.
- Tissue Regeneration
- A regenerative material such as a membrane, graft tissue, or tissue stimulating protein is placed to promote natural bone and tissue regeneration in the affected area.
- Soft Tissue Graft
- A soft tissue graft involves applying gum grafts from the mouth or a donor to the affected area to bring the gum line to a healthier state.
If you want to learn more about gum recession in San Diego, CA or think you may be a good candidate for gum surgery, set up a consultation with Drs. Huamán and Flores today! Dr. Huamán and Dr. Flores can determine if you have gum disease or any other oral health problems that may need to be treated with gum surgery.